The Board at VegasTripping

Board @ VT RSS Feed Board Topic RSS Feed

Las Vegas MGM Resorts Sale!

Advertisement

Why is Caesars still in northern Nevada?

Started by NeverJustJ on Saturday, 8th February 2014 1:53 pm
Last response by vespajet 9th February 7:09am

Just read VegasChatter's very good two-part report on a visit to Reno.

In the comments, someone mentioned, "Harrah's [Reno] is in such bad shape that last summer a consultant recommended giving the property away." Now, I think this is a bit of hyperbole, but it does make me wonder, why are they still in the northern Nevada market?

Post Response

Report this topic as inappropriate.

Add To Itinerary
 vespajet responded on Sunday, 9th February 2014

Considering that's where the company was started at back in the 1930s as a bingo parlor by William F. Harrah and was where the company was headquartered for the bulk of its' existence (Their headquarters moved to Memphis from 1991-1998 and relocated to Las Vegas in 1999 after buying Rio.), they're probably still in Northern Nevada in deference to the history of the company.

NeverJustJ replied on Sunday, 9th February 2014

Oh...how I would love that to be true.

jerrydice responded on Saturday, 8th February 2014

Considering half the time at Harrahs Reno's dice tables is spent chasing the dice that bounce off the tables (they intentionally made them extra bouncy to thwart winners), not a surprise.

It's a shame that the Tahoe market is struggling...Harrahs & Harveys are decent properties that throw comp rooms out decently. Think about this though - Caesars used to have 3 properties in the small South Lake Tahoe scene. These mega gaming companies are borderline crazy.

Drake responded on Sunday, 9th February 2014

Yeah, the Tahoe properties are nice. We stayed at Harrah's Tahoe and Harrah's Reno a few years ago and the quality drop-off was significant. Won't stay at Harrah's Reno again. My guess is that Reno stays open to capture whatever Total Rewards members wander into town. Definitely doesn't do the brand any good though.