VegasEats: The Buffet at Wynn
» filed under Las Vegas tagged: wynn buffet feedbag vegaseats comments: 17
In the true spirit of a buffet, I've written six introductory paragraphs to this VegasEats review... choose your own, or eat them all as the choice is yours.
1. The Wynn Buffet: the luxurious standard for gut busting gluttony. For a mere $100, and precision timing, you can feed breakfast and lunch to a family of five for a shade over $100 bucks. The key is to arrive about 30 minutes before the switchover to lunch... you'll get in at the lower price and be knee deep in feedbag as the offerings change from starchy breakfast to protein packed lunch.
2. We took our guests visiting from the UK to the Wynn Buffet to give them a top tier taste of the once greatest, but still great Las Vegas buffet. Despite our cheerleading and leading by example, the Brits just couldn't grasp the concept of "eating till you puke, then packing in a little more on top of that." They did manage to break character at the dessert counter, where they proved that you can have pudding without eating your meat. Lots of it.
4. If you think about it, the Vegas Buffet has more in common with Tapas than most Las Vegas Tapas restaurants do. For a pro foodie, the taste is the thing, not the mass. Somehow, somewhere, the buffet became synonymous with gluttony and not variety. The new Vegas buffets, as signified by the Wynn Buffet, M Resorts Studio B buffet, the Cosmopolitan's Wicked Spoon are more about presenting the guest with a universe of flavors, a 200 dish prix fixe tapas menu to taste and experience. Or you can load your plate with 3lbs of greasy bacon, a slice of pepperoni pizza and two cupcakes. The choice is yours.
5. I used to think that I had the Vegas buffets beat, now I know that I do. As you'll see from the following photos, I blew it, but I've got a game plan for the next time I do battle with the buffet. The experts tell you not to load up on carbs... anything made from flour, wheat or rice - pancakes, toast, bagels, waffles, pastries, noodles and sushi. I declare those notions to be nonsense... the key to successfully beating the house is to refrain from loading up on anything. Instead, grab a spoonful of everything and go back for at least 10 trips.
6. The best value in Las Vegas - in these days when the generic food options are all being replaced by celebrity chefs of questionable, yet expensive, provenance - is, by far, the lowly all you can eat buffet. $20 bucks gets you 15 coffee refills, a plateful of danishes and whatever else you can stuff in your face at The Buffet at Wynn. By comparison, $20 gets you only two coffees and two danishes at Wynn's new(ish) Tower Suites Lobby Cafe. Not that Wynn is known for the value proposition... but really guys.
My breakfast plate #1... fish cake (yuck), eggs benedict (yum), enchilada (meh), thai noodles (yum), pepperoni pizza (yum), bacon & sausage (yum & meh), quiche slathered in frommage (meh).
Mrs. Monkay's breakfast plate #1.. fish cake (yuck), waffle (yum), hash browns (yum), eggs benedict (yum), unknown, quiche (meh), pork bao (yum), peaches & cream (yum), artichoke (yum).
My lunch plate #1... egg roll (yum), meatball (meh), rigatoni (meh), farmers cheese selection (yum), sushi (meh), dried apple (meh), fried chicken (yum). Not pictured... a cup of gazpacho (meh) a bundled up slice of prosciutto (yum).
Mrs. Monkay's lunch plate #1a... sushi (meh), pea risotto (yum), pizza (yum)
Mrs. Monkay's lunch plate #1b... quinoa salad (vegan - meh), feta mint watermelon salad (meh), asian sesame salad (yum) a slice of salami (yum).
Mrs. Monkay's dessert plate #1... chocolate brownie mousse, cheesecake chocolate chip cookie pie, cherry cheesecake, chocolate cupcake... all yummy.
My dessert plate #1 - candied apple (yum), key lime pie (yum).
My dessert plate #2 - rice krispies treat wit sprinkles (yum), cream puff (yum), cookies n cream gelato (yum).
Total price for 5 people ~ $105 plus tip.
Burp. Burpy Berp Berp Burrrrrp.
The Latest:Ask Misnomer Anything!
The Hangover Part III
Welcome To The Nightclub That Will Never Be
VegasEats: Pyramid Cafe at Luxor
The SLS Las Vegas Construction Cam
PH Gets A Frozen Booze Joint
Is This The New CosmopolitanLasVegas.com Website?
VegasEats: Gordon Ramsay BurGR at Planet Hollywood
Update: Delayed Delano Las Vegas Walks Back Dates
Steve Wynn's Gulfstream G650
RIP Ray Manzarek
» Complete Archive